Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Why I Tithe...closing thoughts

If you have been following this series, thank you for taking the time to consider the point of view I have been sharing about tithing.  I hope that whether or not you agree with everything written, you have been inspirited to live a life of deeper generosity!

Since my last posting, my father was born into eternity...his journey this side of Heaven began on October 15, 1933 and he breathed his last earthly breath on November 24, 2014.  My Dad would have loved this series of articles.  One of the many God honoring life lessons he taught me was that it is always better to have less so that we can give more.  Dad, may your legacy of generosity live on through us all!

Some closing thoughts...

Walking in the supernatural often begins by embracing the practical.  I believe that God has a material destiny for all of us, one that is predetermined.  My life of wealth is based on God's divine plan for me.  However, while my material destiny is ultimately determined by His sovereignty, my progress toward that end is achieved through my activity.  If I am unwilling to live according the principles of Scripture, I have little hope of achieving all the wealth that God has set aside for me. And my activity is plainly prescribed for me...if I am willing to read all that God has written by way of instruction!

Knowledge, understanding, and wisdom are three words we often find in Scripture.  And although they are often used similarly, interchangeably...they each still hold a distinct meaning.  We find them listed together in texts like Proverbs 2:6 and Colossians 1:9.  Biblical knowledge only comes through the discipline of learning Scripture.  We must avail ourselves to the body of eternal truth that God has so graciously given us.  This requires commitment, time, reflection, study, learning from others, prayer, and so many other activities that are self evident for spiritual health and well being.  Simply, knowledge is having a command of what the Bible says.  Understanding is then taking that knowledge and making it personal and actionable.  I may "know" that the Bible says I am to love my enemy.  Understanding is then considering who my enemies are and then plotting a course of action that will consistently demonstrate love toward them.  Understanding is having comprehended what my knowledge of Scripture now expects of me personally.  Wisdom...that is the courage to now act.  Wisdom is having the courage of conviction to put into practice what I understand to be true for me based on my inventory of Biblical knowledge.

If you have read these articles...you now know Scripture states that tithing should be a part of every devoted follower of Christ's stewardship plan.  What will that look like for you?  How do you need to change your budget to accommodate this Scriptural mandate?  Once you have determined a course of action, you have stepped into the realm of understanding...actually doing it, welcome to wisdom!

There are a host of resources out there available to you if you need assistance.  From Crown Financial Services to Dave Ramsey...find a resource that resonates with you and begin the work of building a sound, Biblically based plan for stewarding your material resources.

Proverbs 3:5-6 is one of the first verses I memorized as a new Christian.  I can't think of a more appropriate text to consider as we are concluding our conversation about tithing.  Ultimately, whether I tithe or not is about trust.  Do I trust God?  Even if I read chapters like Psalm 24 and am convinced that all I have belongs to God, trust is what empowers me to give much of those possessions away.

I hope you take the time to read a favorite story of mine found in the Old Testament, 2 Kings 4:1-7.  Every time I obey Scripture, I am gathering one more pot for Him to fill!  I hope you live a generous life, that you commit yourself to be a pot gatherer, not so that you can be enriched but so you can be well positioned to give even more!

Pastor Fred

No comments: