Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Genesis 34-36

As we continue to read through Genesis, we see the powerful truth being declared through all the genealogies that are recorded, that one generation impacts not just those of their time but many generations that follow. Returning back to our question of Eden in regards to the curse being prescriptive or descriptive, helps us better understand what will come later when God speaks of the sins of the father being visited upon their children and the righteousness of a the father likewise affecting generations to come (see Exodus 20). Ezekiel 18 promises us that God will not punish one generation for the sins of another. Here's an article, give it a read, that speaks to this: Beth Moore.

We see that the sin of deception continues to characterize this family. This is a sobering moment for each of us, or it should be. We must be willing to ask ourselves some pressing questions. What sins are prevalent in our lives, both ones of omission and commission, meaning sins that I actively commit, like angry outbursts, or omission being sin as a result of my inaction, like withholding my generosity from neighbors in need? What am I perpetuating, following the sinful patterns of generations before me? What am I beginning, new patterns of sin that will be perpetuated generationally through my children?

Why not perpetuate righteousness as with sin, it lasts for three and four generations but with righteousness, come on, a thousand generations! What kind of impact am I, are you?

Pastor Fred

No comments: