Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20

If you have been following this blog for any amount of time, you have found that there are three beliefs central to my faith in God as a devoted follower of Christ: the goodness of God, the potential of people, and the centrality of church.

Psalm 27:13-14 from today's reading is a hallmark verse for my unwavering confidence in God's goodness...

13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness
while I am here in the land of the living.

14 Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the L
ord.

I love how David doesn't say that the only way he will see God's goodness is once he is in heaven with Him after death. No, there is goodness here! But still, as he concludes in verse 14, he acknowledges that often patience is required of us in waiting for this goodness to be realized. And as we continue in today's reading, we come to Acts 22 where we find a narrative that exemplifies this foundational truth, God's goodness.

We find Paul arrested, bound, and about to be beaten and tortured for the purpose of rendering a confession from him. I wonder if in the moments before he was recalling Psalm 27? Our belief in the goodness of God does not include a denial of hardship. On the contrary, we have every expectation of hardship! The promise of the goodness of God contains an assurance that when we face hardship, the suffering is never meaningless. The goodness of God is not just about seasons of ease but most certainly also seasons of affliction. When God chooses to allow me to suffer, I see His goodness because in such places my character is formed, my destiny is advanced, and the message of the gospel of Christ is preached to people I would have otherwise never encountered! Even when I am suffering because of my own folly and foolishness, my suffering becomes my teacher, helping me to eradicate sinful patterns from my life.

I must have patience for God's goodness to be realized this side of eternity, for a season of suffering to change into a season of ease and also for a revelation of understanding to see how the season of suffering was in itself purposeful for me, my future, and my world!

He is GOOD!

Pastor Fred



No comments: