Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26

23 For last night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, 24 and he said...

This comes from Acts 27 in today's reading. In these few words we find three of the most foundational concepts of Christianity!

First, does my belief in God translate into a sense of belonging to Him? I have met few people who deny in the existence of God but many who have no sense of belonging to Him, acknowledging His right to fully govern and rule over their lives. In Greg Gilbert's book, "What Is the Gospel?" he lists four questions that we should all acknowledge as being vitally important to our existence: Who made us and to whom are we accountable? What is our problem, in other words, are we in trouble and why? What is God's solution to that problem? How has He acted to save us from it? How do I, myself, right here, right now--how do I come to be included in that salvation, what makes this good new for me and not just for someone else? One of the reason I love this book is because he defines sin, at its very essence, as living in a state of rebellion, denying God's sovereign right to rule over us. If we believe but do not submit, we are anchored in sin. We must belong to Him!

Next, in my belonging to Him, am I serving Him? I teach about 12 Pathways that lead us into the depths of eternal life this side of heaven, believing that eternal life is not just measured on the time continuum but the depth continuum as well, a life that is forever, yes, but also full! You show me a person whose life is tracking on every path: Scripture, worship, prayer, fasting, gathering, relationship, accountability, reaching, rest, service, generosity, and stewardship and I will show you are person who is serving Him! Belonging to God is a matter of the heart, serving Him is a matter of effort. I cannot earn His love, I cannot earn His grace, I cannot earn His salvation...but make no mistake, serving Him is about activity. The book of James brings this perspective like no other book in Scripture, read it, live it!

Finally, we come to "he said..." which is the angel speaking to Paul. If I belong to Him, if I am serving Him, I will not endure without and expectation that He will speak to me. Whether by angels, visions, the Holy Spirit, divine encounters, a prophetic voice...we must have a vision for a God who speaks! I have never heard the audible voice of God but seldom does a day go by that I do not feel His whisper to my soul.

Submit to Him, work for Him, and above all, be listening!

Pastor Fred

No comments: