Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5

We began a new series last weekend entitled "Radical" which is based on the book by David Platt "Radical Together." Our first message was "The Radical Vow." Jesus' message was nothing short of radical, a message, a gospel, good news that demands from us a vow of devotion that is equally nothing short of radical.

Our reading today in Philippians reminds us of this radical vow. I believe that a radical vow of devotion to Jesus is comprised of three parts, each component being related to a monumental moment of Jesus' life: His death, His resurrection, and His imminent return.

His death demands of us a prayer, radical forgiveness. Some of the most beautiful words in Scripture are atonement, redemption, justification, and propitiation, all speaking to Jesus' substitutionary death on our behalf. Romans 6:23 declares that death is what we deserve for denying God's divine right to rule over our lives but that we can be forgiven because Jesus died for us, so that we could receive the gift of eternal life, when eternal death was deserved. Have you prayed this prayer? Have you asked God to forgive you? His forgiveness is not effectual for you personally until you accept His grace. Think of everything that you have done in your life, and not done, that saddens God's heart. Is there genuine remorse in your heart? If there is, there is genuine forgiveness He longs to give you! "God, I'm sorry, will you forgive me of my past, for all that I have done and not done that has disappointed You and shamed me?" His answer is always a resounding YES!

His death demands of us a promise, radical devotion. When Jesus raised Himself from the dead, that moment was His declaration to the world that He has the power to fulfill every promise He has made to us. Have you ever over-committed yourself? Have you ever been disappointed by someone who couldn't deliver what they assured you they could do? Jesus cannot relate to that! His power has NO limits, no bounds. A radical vow of devotion to Jesus begins with a prayer but it must continue with a promise, a promise to give Jesus complete and total control of our lives. There is a moment of allegiance that is required. There is a moment of surrender that is expected. Mark 8:34-35 could not be more clear. We must be fully committed. The metaphor so often used in Scripture is that we are the bride of Christ. No bride or groom enjoys the sacredness of marriage without first forsaking all else for one another. Have you forsaken all for Him? "Jesus, my life belongs to You. Wherever You lead me, I will follow. I want You to be the dominant voice in my life. What You believe, how You would repond, what You value...I want You to rule over me!"

His imminent return demands of us a pursuit, radical living. What will Jesus find you doing when He returns? In the first chapter of Philippians, The Apostle Paul mentions Jesus' return frequently. Why? Because Paul understands that looking for Jesus' return is a vital part of the radical vow of devotion that many of the readers of his letter have made. If I have said The Prayer and if I have made The Promise, then I MUST be living radically for The Pursuit! If nothing of my life has changed in light of my Prayer and my Promise, then have I really become part of God's divine family? While The Promise is all about intent, The Pursuit is all about action! Verse 10 says "...live pure and blameless lives..." Verse 11 says "...the fruit of our salvation--righteous character..." Verse 27 says "...living as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Godd News..." What life are you living in light of The Prayer, in light of The Promise? "God, I want to become the person that You created me to be, to do everything that You created me to do! Help me die to who I used to be and live for You. I don't want to just be a believer but a follower!"

Are you radical?

Pastor Fred

No comments: