Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 11

Do I demand to see something of His glory before I will obey? If so, His glory is seldom revealed to such demands. John 2, the wondrous account of the wedding of Cana reveals to us that His glory is revealed to those who have already obeyed. If ever the was a verse in Scripture that embodies all the rest of the Bible, John 2:5b, "...Do whatever He says."

If you are waiting for a divine revelation, it could be that God is waiting on you.

I am also intrigued by the word John is inspired by the Holy Spirit to use for revelation/manifestation in verse 11. There are primarily three words in the Greek to convey revelation/manifestation. The first is epiphaneia. This word focuses mainly on the object being revealed, without necessitating any understanding by the observer. The observer sees but may not comprehend. I would use the word "oh" to express this sentiment. The second word is apokalupto. This word focuses on the object but also implies there is understanding on behalf of the observer. I would use the phrase "oh, I see" to express this sentiment. The final word is phaneroo. This word focuses primarily on the observer, meaning that the observer is responding to the revelation. I would us the phrase "oh, I see, yes" to express this sentiment. This is the word we find in John 2:11.

The world is full of people who see Jesus and say "oh." The world is full of people who see Jesus and say "oh, I see." There are few people in the world who see Jesus and say "oh, I see, yes." That is why Jesus says in Matthew 22:14 that may are called and few are chosen...few say yes. I love how John 11 wraps up, for emphasis, just in case the reader missed the distinction of the word chosen for revelation/manifestion...the verse concludes with this, "...and His disciples believed in Him." They said yes.

What is the word that describes your Jesus revelation...may it be phaneroo!

Pastor Fred

No comments: