Friday, June 7, 2013

Some Proverbs

In today's reading, a few proverbs resonated with me that I wanted to share...

The first one is 13:4, "Lazy people want much but get little, but those who work hard will prosper."  I am convinced this is more than just material.  Being a disciple of Jesus necessitates breaking a sweat!  I would humbly suggest that one of deficiencies is Reformed theology is an unwillingness to differentiate between the grace we are desperate to receive for the hope of Heaven after death and the work required of us in this life to have heaven on earth.  There is nothing I can do to earn God's favor for Heaven.  But when it comes to the my purpose in this life, the transformative journey of character, the labor of sharing the burdens of others...grab some gatorade!  "...those who work hard will prosper."  I am a sinner saved by grace, indeed...and now one who has been redeemed, ready to labor for my King!!  Am I dependent on the grace of God in my labor?  Am I dependent on the work of The Spirit for my character transformation?  Yes!  But without much labor, without much effort, without intentionality I will inevitably "get little."

"Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest."  (Proverbs 14:4)  If your goal in life is just to have as little crap as possible, you will accomplish very little.  Sure, your "stables" can be spotless but what will your life accomplish?  Take for example relationships, they can be complicated.  Caring for people, making yourself vulnerable to people, relying on people...well, there's crap!  But there is also muscle in community.  Go ahead and isolate, withdraw, boast of a prestigiously clean, complication free life...that accomplishes little.

Finally, we have Proverbs 15:17.  "A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate."  This may very well be the first verse in the Bible I have found that will cause me to question its divine inspiration!

Pastor Fred


No comments: