Friday, May 7, 2010

2 Samuel 7 / 1 Chronicles 17

These are parallel texts to one another and I want to work out of 2 Samuel 7, specifically verses 11b - 17. This is wonderful example of where God is speaking to both the actual events of history in the immediate future as well as prophetically of what is to come centuries later. Here, God is speaking of both Solomon and Jesus. The relevance to Solomon is self explanatory if you are familiar with the coming history of Israel. Let me overlay though the relevance to Jesus...this is beginning with 11b through 17, adding my commentary to reveal its prophetic relevance...

"The Lord declares to you: The Lord Himself will make a house for you (The Church). When your time comes and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up after you your descendants, who will come from your body (Matthew 1:6-7,16), and I will establish His kingdom (Luke 1:32-33). He will build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of His kingdom forever (Matthew 16:18). I will be a father to Him, and he will be a Son to Me (Matthew 3:17 & Mark 9:7). When He does wrong, I will discipline Him with a human rod and with blows from others (not that Jesus ever does wrong but rather that He dies for the wrongs that we have committed, His substitutionary death...Colossians 1:19-20). But my faithful love will never leave Him as I removed it from Saul; I removed him from your way (we are powerless to remove the obstacles that separate us from God, mainly our Saul like heart, a heart that is inherently self-serving and although we deserve a graceless response from God like Saul received, we receive His grace because of Jesus, Isaiah 53 & Romans 3:23, 6:23 & Ephesians 2:8). Your house and kingdom will endure before Me forever, and your throne will be established forever (Acts 2:29-35).

If we believe that all of Scripture is God breathed, what does it mean to you if God, knowing He had limited space, chose to repeat something? I say because there is something in there that is important to Him! When we come across such texts, don't say, "I've read this before..." We must on the contrary say, "Lord, clearly this is important to you, may it be as important to me, help me see what it is that you long for me to know!"

The Holy Spirit is our teacher, our ever present revelatory power (John 16:5-16 & 1 Corinthians 2:9-16) and He wants such revelation to be imparted to us! God's heart is one to reveal, not to hide, find Him and His truth always!!

Pastor Fred

No comments: