Friday, May 14, 2010

Psalm 32/51/86/122

In the first Psalm, we read a favorite verse, nine, of mine that compares our human heart to that of a horse or a mule, one that needs to be controlled by a bit. I enjoy this verse because when I think of a tamed animal like a horse or a mule, I always consider a bit to be a good thing, a sign that the animal is under the control of the master...but herein lies the wonder of this verse, God does not want us to be under His control but rather for His will to be the desire of our heart...we follow without a bit because our heart longs to be led by Him.

Psalm 51 carries forward this same sentiment, that when we sin, as David did which is chronicled for us in the companion to these Psalms, historical writing of 2 Samuel 11-12, there must be a re-surrendering of our hearts to our Master.

Psalm 86, which contains another favorite verse for me, verse 15, states that God, our Master is a merciful and gracious God, slow to anger, rich in steadfast love and truth. I remember memorizing this verse when I was a new Christian, soon after having made a vow of devotion to Jesus. I was reading The Book, a loose translation of the Bible and found this verse, often repeated in Scripture, to be deeply meaningful to me given my own life of debauchery prior to surrendering to my Master.

Then in Psalm 122, we find a song that Israelites would sing as they made their annual pilgrimages to the Jerusalem to celebrate the annual feasts. I love the pairing of this Psalm with the previous three because it reminds us that repentance does not just bring reconciliation with our Master, but with His whole house, the family of God, together...as Jesus said, that we would love one another as He has loved us!

Pastor Fred

No comments: