Friday, May 17, 2013

Mahanaim

In 2 Samuel 17:24 we have a passing mention of the place where David chose to set up camp as he and his forces prepared to defend themselves against his son Absalom and the army of Israel, who were making a play for the throne, a coup.

The place is Mahanaim.  I love the story of the geography of the Bible, in fact, I believe we find much truth not just in the story of the people in Scripture but also the story of the places.  We are introduced to this place in Genesis 32.  Jacob is on his way back from Padan-Aram where he has lived as a fugitive from his brother's wrath, Esau.  On his return journey he comes across a camp of angels...that may be why I have never seen an angel because I am always at the Marriott, never camping!  Jacob declares that he has  discovered the camp of God.  Now remember, when Jacob years prior was leaving for Padan-Aram he had a dream where he saw angels ascending and descending between Heaven and earth...he named that place Bethel which translates "house of God."  Mahanaim translates roughly "two camps."  At two of Jacob's most desperate moments in life, God affirmed His care of Jacob in amazingly dramatic fashion!  He named this new place Mahanaim "two camps" because he decided to make his camp next to God's camp, two camps.

Now travel forward in time...here is David, on the run, desperate, clinging to the memory of God's many promises over his life yet his circumstances were a mounting witness against God's Word.  Where does he go?  Is it a coincidence?  Was Mahanaim just a place that David found out of convenience?  I think David knew that this could be his last stand, and he knew exactly where he wanted to be...next to God's camp.

Where do you camp?  Where are you most easily awakened to His presence?  Where are you the most inclined to believe that over you is an open Heaven?  I'll tell you where that is with me...every Saturday night and every Sunday with the people in this world, besides my family, that I love the most!  Friday for me is the day I wake up the most excited...the weekend is coming...not for the same reasons that many long for the weekend...I can't wait to return to Mahanaim...I love our church and I long for every opportunity I have to get my camp next to that camp!

Pastor Fred


No comments: