Thursday, May 2, 2013

Psalm 133

How wonderful and pleasant it is
    when brothers live together in harmony!
For harmony is as precious as the anointing oil
    that was poured over Aaron’s head,
    that ran down his beard
    and onto the border of his robe.
Harmony is as refreshing as the dew from Mount Hermon
    that falls on the mountains of Zion.
And there the Lord has pronounced his blessing,
    even life everlasting.

The key line to this Psalm is in the last line... "And there..." as I believe this designation of "there" is not only about geography.  Is God talking about His promised blessing to Israel?  Most certainly!

But I believe there is more to this Psalm.  I believe "there" is pointing back to the first line... "live together in harmony!"  God is reminding us that when we work for unity, He pronounces blessing, even life everlasting!

I like Robert Morris' definition of blessing and curse.  He simply says that blessing is having supernatural forces at work in your favor.  Curse is having supernatural forces at work against you.  As long as I have God's power, His blessing, at work in my favor, I need not be concerned about anything that is working against me (Romans 8:31)!

However, all throughout Scripture, we are reminded that while there is blessing that comes through divine favor, pure grace, there is also blessing that is positional.  Meaning, that I have to position myself through my choices, my actions, my attitudes, my thoughts, my inaction...if I am going to be in the right place for His blessing.  Psalm 133.  Harmony doesn't happen without great effort...and here God clearly says that there is a blessing that we will not have if we are not unified.

Being unified is a long, long conversation.  But I will share one key to having unity among a group of people.  People must value relationship more than they value being right.  If you are married, you know what I am talking about.  Every argument moves toward reconciliation when both husband and wife come to a place emotionally where their hearts ache to be restored more than their minds demands to be right.  Unity is when a group of people rest in the confidence of knowing that when disagreements come, and they come, that everyone in the room cherishes the relationship of the heart more than the task at hand or the idea in play.

Pastor Fred

No comments: