Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Psalm 32

One of my favorite childhood memories was in elementary school.  I had a friend whose family owned horses and while spending weekends there we had the most wonderful adventures!  John Wayne was my hero, watching every western that came on television (that's right, black and white tv, 4 channels...getting up to turn a knob to change the station and adjust the antenna!) so riding trails in the woods, galloping through fields on a horse...I was John Wayne!  We would build a maze out of bails of hay, have horse manure fights, build forts...a child's world before Wii and iPods!

The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.
    I will advise you and watch over you.
Do not be like a senseless horse or mule    that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.”

That's verse 8 and 9 out of Psalm 32.  Funny thing about those horses, never rode one that didn't need a bit and bridle.  Actually, the most trained horse benefited from the bit and bridle, using those devices to understand and communicate with the rider.  I find this Psalm interesting.  I imagine it should have said, "Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that resists..."  But that's not the text.  It actually reads "need."

I want to be a child of God who knows His heart for me...riding every trail, galloping ever field, making every turn, embracing whatever pace, yielding to my Master because of a mind that discerns His will and heart that longs to follow.

Pastor Fred

No comments: